Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Alpaca



This is alpaca that I got from a woman in Shelbourne. She and her husband have a bed and breakfast, and also, some alpacas and llamas. This fibre is straight off the animal, so I need to find out what is the best way to use it.I just got a small bag of each of three natural colours, so that I could sample to see if raw fleece is something I want to deal with. So far I think I am going to like it. I juat need the proper tools. I don't have any yet, and I was able to spin some ok yarn straight from the unwashed fleece.

I'm not sure how to distinguish good alpaca from bad. I got some grey so that I could maybe overdye it, but I can tell that it is not as soft as the brown and black. It is still nice though. The black is beautiful, it has so much shine and is really heavy and drapey.

Once I experiment a little, I will decide if I want more.

1 Comments:

At 9:25 p.m., Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, that alpaca is beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home